Job Title: Research Associate
Location: Baltimore, MD
Reports To: Scientist, Research
Work Schedule: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Research Associate will work closely with the Research Team to develop and characterize novel, sustained-release therapeutic formulations for the treatment of ocular diseases. The Research Associate will design and perform experimental protocols, and prepare scientific reports to support pre-IND and IND activities. The Research Associate will be an integral part of the Research Department. The successful candidate will be expected to perform research studies and prepare scientific reports to support pre-IND and IND activities. Previous experience in formulation development, micro- and/or nano-particles or other polymer drug delivery systems is strongly preferred. Previous experience in analytical chemistry and material characterization is a plus. A B.S. or M.S. in chemical engineering, biomedical engineering, pharmacology and pharmaceutical sciences, chemistry, materials science, or other related fields is required. Previous experience in industry is a plus.
Duties and Responsibilities – Essential Functions
- Function as a member of the Research Team to plan and perform studies to develop and characterize novel, sustained-release drug formulations suitable for ocular delivery.
- Perform and optimize analytical assays including UV-vis spectrophotometry, HPLC and GPC.
- Characterize and optimize components of the current process, and devise more efficient methods to support corporate goals.
- Prepare scientific reports and presentations to support pre-IND and IND activities.
- A B.S. or M.S. in chemical engineering, biomedical engineering, pharmacology and pharmaceutical sciences, chemistry, materials science, or other related fields is required.
- 0-3 years post-graduate degree work experience. Previous experience in industry is a plus.
- Research experience in pharmaceutical formulation, and/or drug delivery strongly preferred.
- Analytical chemistry skills including HPLC, UV-spectrophotometry, GPC, SEM and particle sizing, strongly desired.
- Experience with nanoparticle and/or microparticle synthesis strongly desired.
Desired Key Competencies
- Ability to achieve in a dynamic, fast-paced, multi-tasking environment of a milestone-driven, rapidly changing research environment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Possess a high degree of personal responsibility.
- An enjoyment of working collaboratively in a team environment with scientists of different backgrounds and experience levels.
- Ability to prioritize and re-prioritize activities as needed to accomplish unanticipated requests or initiate new projects requiring immediate attention.
- Good planning, organization, and execution skills.
- Demonstrates the highest ethical standards and trustworthiness.
Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to send a resume/CV and a cover letter to HR@graybug.com